نحن نقف معا ko tātou tātou we are one
PAPAROA refers to an area spread with cloaks to mark a special place of honour. This website was launched on 31st March 2019, primarily as a response to the horrific terrorist attacks on the Alnoor and Linwood Mosques in Christchurch. As-Salaam-Alaikum.
First, we want to acknowledge all the researchers and activists who have worked in this area for so many years. Ka kitea he mahi tino pakeke rawa te mahi nei, te whaikōrero, ehara i te mahi kai parāoa, he mahi mā te tangata mātau. The concerns you have expressed again and again have been well and truly truly borne out – not just by what happened in Christchurch but by the appalling rise in racist attacks, islamophobia, hate speech, social media trolling and targeted vandalism. These people are dangerous. For that reason, people in the Paparoa network have decided not to identify themselves and become targets.
• To act in the public interest by relaying information on the white supremacist movement, neo nazis, islamophobes and the far right from the community to key figures in mainstream media and research communities;
• To provide practical, moral and financial support to those affected by far right activities;
• To share as much data as possible with others in the Paparoa network, insofar as the law allows;
• To build cooperative relationships with any Islamic body, non-governmental organisation, academic, researcher, journalist, or representative of the faith community that is working in the same area.
PRIVACY AND SECURITY
When you join Paparoa your identity is totally protected. We don’t even know it ourselves. In fact even the researchers don’t know each other… all we know is that we have passed a vetting procedure. This security model may seem a bit O.T.T. but many of the people we are looking at are, by definition, sociopaths.
• Unless we find cause for concern, we do not ask for your name, address, phone number or date of birth. All we need (temporarily) is your email address.
• As a supporter, your email address is not stored anywhere on our servers. Even if Paparoa were hacked wide open, no link to your identity could be traced. All that could be found is a long list of people who have subscribed to the newsletter.
• Our servers are based in Iceland, which (along with Switzerland) has the most advanced legislation in the world to protect online privacy.
• When you join we will send you an anonymised user name and a password. After that, not even your own mother would recognise you! 🙂